Wednesday, June 4, 2008

The Principles of Beautiful Web Design

I've finally finished reading The Principles of Beautiful Web Design by Jason Beaird (Sitepoint). And when I say finally, I mean finally. I think I started this book back in December! It's not a bad book by any means but it turned out to not be the in-depth "design" book I was looking for. It's a great how-to reference for anyone starting out in web design and gives the reader lots of points from laying out the basic grid to selecting photography. And it does cover the most basic of design points like using color and texture but doesn't go much below the surface of the vocabulary.

The most interesting take-away for me was from Chapter 1, "Layout and Composition," where he discusses the Rule of Thirds. I've started to notice in almost all design pieces this basic division of the composition. I also liked this line from the preface: "...the [website] design should be as intentional as the functionality." Little stings more to a designer than having people say we just "make things look pretty," as if design has no function of its own in usability.

I also liked how he ended the book, asking the readers to look to their own ideas for inspiration; "The most important thing you can bring to the design table is your own personality, experiences, and interests. These three resources should form the foundations of your design work." I have been more inspired to just go out on that limb and try some of my own design work and have recently redone my professional portfolio.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think :)