Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Knocking the Dust off the Ol' Blog

As you can see from the archive list, I've been keeping this blog on and mostly off for seven years. In the beginning, I wanted to make it like an online journal, back in the days before Facebook and Twitter (social media really) were part of our vocabulary and daily life. I wanted a way to share things I thought were important with the world. What I think has evolved in my thinking since that first blog post is the idea of what I really want to put out there. I want to give back to the Internet, not just post about myself.

I have told several people they should blog about the inventions they've made, the crafts they've done and the things they have fixed. I would like to do the same. I've always thought of myself as resourceful and I would like to share what I can with others to encourage re-use of materials, dumpster diving, fixing things for  yourself instead of throwing them away and creating your arts and crafts. For example, this past week I created a flag for a protest rally and received many compliments. It's nothing fancy and could be improved upon, but for someone who never even thought to try, it could be a good starting point. As a re-entry into the "blogosphere" (ugh), I will make my first, true, step-by-step "how-to" and perhaps will take the opportunity to document the feats of others if they are not so inclined.