Wednesday, March 12, 2008

On Turning Twenty-Nine

Spelling out 29 makes it look so grown-up. I've been joking that this is my "last" birthday since women seem to say they're 29 for more than a few years (well at least she did on The Nanny). Anyway, as with most recent birthdays, I did not feel any different today. No golden light from the sky as I stepped out of bed; certainly no barrage of phone calls or happy greetings; no pile of presents on the kitchen table or birthday pancake breakfast. I think that will change next year for the big three-oh. I've never really had a big birthday party as an adult, make that since I was about 10.

I did get to go out for an awesome sushi dinner. (Yes, there is good sushi in Austin; I say this to you, snotty girl from San Francisco at SXSWi.) I was even greeted at the door with flowers when I got home. I don't feel older or wiser or any of that crap. Maybe if anything, just a little sad that my mom has resorted to text messaging me a birthday greeting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think :)